It was a sad chapter. They had to leave their home, their friends, and Abuelita. I am glad that Tio Luis is getting tricked. Madelaine is afraid that Tio Luis will find out and try to get them back. Evelyn has read ahead, so she isn't going to make a prediction. Melissa hopes that they get away. I wonder how Esperanza is going to feel about being poor.
I agree, it was a very sad chapter. The only positive thing is that no-one died in the fire. Tio Luis is such an evil man that I can understand why Esperanza's mother, who lived such a life of privilege, would be willing to go to the United States and work in the fields rather than marry him and help him get to an even more powerful position as governor. I think Esperanza will have the more difficulty adapting to their new situation. She is very sad to leave her school, her friends and her way of life even though she can see that Tio Luis would send her to boarding school if her mother married him. Esperanza's mother is a very smart and strong woman who knows what is best for her family and their former servants on whom they now depend.
ReplyDelete